Saturday, January 10, 2009

Triple Decker

This post is not about a sandwich, but about my horrific bicycle crash in the Santa Monica Mountains. I was 20 miles into the 126 mile Grand Tour ride hosted by the Los Angeles Wheelmen on September 28, 2007.

After a strong climb up the infamous Latigo Canyon Road, the ride continued west on Mulholland Drive to Highway 23 also known as Decker Canyon Road. The descent is fast and treacherous and not for the faint of heart. Into the descent towards Westlake Village, I lost control of the bike's rear end and went down hard on my left side.

To make a long story short, I ended up breaking my left shoulder and sustaining a huge hemotoma topped with road rash on my left ass cheek. It was by the grace of God that I did not break my hip. The shoulder fracture was the first broken bone injury I had ever sustained at the age of 40. Not the age to be breaking bones.

The following week, my cycling club included the report in our monthly newsletter with the storyline "Decker Gets Decked On Decker".

1 comment:

  1. love the name and the story of how you got it (well not that you got hurt but it's a story!). I lvoe blogging - I'll add you to my list and check it often!!

    ReplyDelete